11/02/2022, 14/02/2022, 17/02/2022, 24/02/2022, 25/02/2022
HEALTH AND SAFETY REPRESENTATIVE INITIAL – 5 DAYS
The Health and Safety Representative Initial – 5 Days course is designed for newly elected health and safety representatives (HSRs) and is delivered by SafeWork NSW Approved Training Providers (ATPs). This training will provide HSRs with an understanding of their roles, responsibilities and powers as outlined in legislation. The course includes both theory and practical activities including an on-site workplace inspection.
HSRs provide an effective way for the persons conducting a business or undertaking (PCBU) to meet their obligation to consult with workers on work health and safety matters.
An HSR is a valuable resource in promoting health and safety information to workers. They play an active role in assisting the PCBU to protect workers against risks. HSRs assist in developing a stronger commitment to safety from workers by involving them in decisions on how to manage risks and getting rapid resolution of health and safety issues.
The Work Health and Safety Act 2011 provides for the election of HSRs as the primary mechanism to represent workers on health and safety issues.
HSRs are entitled to choose and attend an approved five day training course in work health and safety. The PCBU must allow the HSR to attend within a 3 month period of the request for training and is responsible for payment of course fees.
Health and Safety Representative Initial – 5 Days Public Course Dates
Health and Safety Representative Initial – 5 Days Course Details
Day 1 – Work Health and Safety Framework
- Work Health and Safety and evolution of WHS legislation
- WHS framework and key terminology
- Duty holders and their duties
- Introduction to the role and function of HSRs and WHS entry permit holders
- Role and function of the Regulator and Penalties under the WHS Act
Day 2 – Consultation, Representation and Participation
- Consultation requirements and arrangements in the workplace
- Roles and responsibilities of HSRs in consultation
- Role of Health and Safety Committees
- HSRs’ rights entitlements and protections
- Exceptions from obligations and the review process
Day 3 – Role of the HSR in Issue Resolution and minimising risks
- Effective consultation and communication
- Investigating complaints , negotiation issues resolution and problem solving
- Monitoring and review of risk controls and the role of the HSR
Day 4 – Inspections, Notifiable Incidents, Incident Investigation
- Workplace inspection and recording findings – practical
- Hazard identification prompt list
- Sample workplace inspection checklist
- Notifiable incidents
- Incident investigation techniques – practical
Day 5 – Provisional Improvement Notices (PINs) and ceasing unsafe work
- Purpose and function of PINs
- Role and requirements for HSRs to issue PINs and process for issuing a PIN
- Directing unsafe work to cease and alternatives to PINs or ceasing unsafe work
Course fee includes course mate
rials, refreshments, morning tea and lunch each day. Free off street parking is available.
Training is delivered face to face including both theory and activities.
Award and Recognition
Successful participants will be awarded with a SafeWork NSW Approved Certificate.
Evidence of Identity with photo and signature is required together with completion of an Evidence of Identity document. We will not make copies of your EOI. Our records only need to state the type and currency of the evidence sighted by the facillitator on the day of training.
Your personal information is collected and retained by us as the Approved Training Provider. This information is collected solely for the purpose of conducting training. This information in whole or in part may be given to SafeWork NSW. As the Regulator, SafeWork NSW may choose to contact health and safety representatives who have completed this training for the purpose of undertaking reporting, program monitoring and evaluation. For this reason please be aware that personal information provided will be made available to SafeWork NSW as part of our conditions of approval to deliver the HSR training.